Since the beginning of the crisis related to the epidemic of coronavirus, a few discrepancies appeared between the president of the Republic and his prime Minister. Officially everything is going well, but behind the scenes things are not going well !
If this last had in march, convinced the President and Emmanuel Macron of the need to maintain the first round of the municipal elections, it was appropriately drawn the ire of the first circle macronien. The forced of the day for the visitors-textoteurs of the evening, all would have preferred to postpone this election parasitized by a health crisis. Relapsed this Friday, may 22, announcing the second round, while the entourage of the head of State suggests that he regrets not having followed his urge, his first intuition to maneuver: the replay of the entire election in march 2021.
A prime minister mobilized to get out of the crisis
So goes the life of a Prime minister under the Fifth Republic. The president has entrusted to his prime minister, the delicate mission of informing the citizens on the evolution of the crisis, the measures implemented, the timing of containment and then déconfinement, the good and the less good news. The head of State is reserving its operations to display a broader and more constructive to the situation. The prime minister is identified as the head of a whole administration, the differences of point of view are then propagated between the Elysée and Matignon, and the rumours of a change of Prime minister have emerged. But the Head of State knows that we can’t get rid of a Prime minister, servile, loyal and popular, which ensured the management of a crisis of this scale, unless … it is called towards other horizons.
And since the confirmation of the date of the second round of the municipal elections on 28 June
A change of prime minister, but for what purpose ?
The President has already said it all. After his message from the beginning of the crisis, stressing the need to support the economy ” whatever it costs “, Emmanuel Macron reaffirmed with force in the past several weeks, that it was necessary to ” reinvent itself for the world after. “This will require a new impetus to inspire the action of the government for the last period of the quinquennium, and the first sequence of” the after-Covid “. And the challenges will be many, and which projects to pursue countless.
- Going ‘green’ for not knowing worse that this epidemic with the consequences of a warming climate announced. This point is reinforced by the success of environmentalists in the 1st round of the municipal elections. Yannick Jadot, mep and leader of Europe Ecology the Greens, in-door up this point by warning : “severe impacts are coming if we don’t act“
- The turning point social to cushion and mitigate the devastating consequences of the recession that promises to be. Although the government is fully focused on the management of the health crisis, he did not forget the claims of the Yellow Vests will remain at the heart of a part of the population. And it will be necessary to prevent ignition, as highlighted by the president of the region of the Hauts de France, Xavier Bertrand.
- The turning point budget with the abandonment of rigour at any price. “We need to rebuild our national sovereignty and european,” says the President of the Republic. A ambition that spans many sectors now : food, health, transport, energy, … France will need to continue its efforts.
- “Inventing the world after ” should lead them to question our model of society has already warned the Head of State. The grand plan Hospital, announced by Olivier Véran, the Minister of Health, will probably be the first stone of this reconstruction, and many others will have to follow.
- Strengthen the european authority. It will be necessary to continue the efforts to consolidate the franco-German relationship, which has made a big step in the beginning of the week, with the bilateral agreement for a loan from the Eu of 500 billion euros.
What Prime minister to replace Edouard Philippe ?
After this health crisis, the President of the Republic will not be the economy of a large cabinet reshuffle, and a great speech in the face of the French, to draw up the broad lines of this last part of its mandate, and especially to save his five-year term. That could then take the place of Edouard Philippe, to ensure that all these projects will be carried out ? Reinvent itself but “at the same time ” does not break with the fundamental macroniens.
Some are already seeing, from 2017, as François Bayrou. Others refer to the presence of a large ministry of ecology, which could be entrusted to Yannick Jadot. The latter will accept most likely thinking of an application eco-progressive in 2022. Others want to believe, that the next host of Matignon will be a staunch defender of the right social, and eyes will then turn to Xavier Bertrand toe-to-toe for a few hours by his former disciple, Gérald Darmanin in the columns of the JDD this Sunday, may 24th. Others prefer a progressive moderate, and it is the name of the last Prime minister of François Hollande, Bernard Cazeneuve, who resurfaced. It is also considering Florence Parly, or Jean-Yves le Drian to assume a certain continuity to the left. More to the right, the good student Bruno The Mayor for the reward. We also think to remember Nathalie Kosciuszko Morizet to embody and feminize this after pursued as more modern, more eco friendly and more social. And others seek to invite to a better start as Manuel Valls.
The President has need of a practitioner and not a tactician.
But, all these personalities have really been able to claim it for different reasons, there are still six months is an eternity. Today, it’s a safe bet that the President will also have to anticipate the inevitable controversy around the management of the health crisis. The trial politico-media to come will also be part of the roadmap of the tenant of Matignon.
The President has need of a practitioner and not a tactician. Then who will save the soldier Macron ? Claude Malhuret ? Roselyne Bachelot ? Philippe Douste-Blazy ?
Author(s): Xavier Azalbert for FranceSoir