ACCIDENT The incident allegedly occurred due to gusts of wind
The experiment was carried out outside the school. Illustration photo — PublicDomainPictures/Pixabay
Twelve people were burnt out varying degrees during an in-class chemistry experiment at an Australian primary school in northern Sydney, Australia, on Monday. The victims are eleven ten-year-old children and their teacher. Gusts of wind would be at the origin of the wrong turn of the experiment, reports The Guardian.
The burns were observed on different parts of the victims' bodies, on the chest, lower abdomen, legs, but also on the face. Two students in particular are in serious condition. Aware of When help arrived, they were taken, by helicopter for one and by ambulance for the second, to Westmead Children’s Hospital, Sidney. While two other hospitals hosted the other nine students. As for the teacher, he suffered only minor injuries that did not require hospitalization.
« A bigger reaction than expected »
The scientific experiment in question, described as « routine », took place at outside. According to Philip Templeman, a company official. NSW Ambulance, gusts of wind could have caused « a bigger reaction than expected, » au Sydney Morning Herald.
Shocked to hear reports of an incident at Manly West Public School today. My thoughts are with the students and staff who have been impacted, and I wish them a speedy recovery. https://t.co/JTedljILZJ
— 🌏 Zali Steggall MP (@zalisteggall) November 21, 2022
Access to this content has been blocked in order to respect your choice of consent
More information on the Cookie Management Policy page.
Faced with; this event, the local authorities also did not fail to to react by the voice of the deputy Zali Steggall, who expressed himself thus on Twitter: « I am shocked to learn that an incident occurred today at Manly West Public School. My thoughts are with the students and staff who have been affected, and I wish them a speedy recovery. ”