Czech Post – illustration photo.
Prague – On Wednesday, the government will deal with the basic parameters of the transformation of the Czech Post. After their approval, the Ministry of the Interior should announce the list of 300 canceled branches within a few weeks. Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of the Interior Vít Rakušan (STAN) stated this in the Party program on CNN Prima News today.
“If there are 300 branches, it will logically have an impact on the fact that the number of employees will decrease. They will leave under decent conditions,” said the Austrian. The post office currently employs around 25,000 people, and several thousand of them should leave on July 1 after the branch offices are closed. The Austrian added that during the eight years of the ANO government, the post office dismissed 6,200 people.
According to ANO MP Jana Mračková Vildumetzová, the transformation of the post office was already prepared and approved in 2021, but the minister threw it in the trash. Under the leadership of the Austrian, the post office went from a loss of 600 million to a loss of 1.5 billion crowns and is at risk of insolvency at the end of the year, she said. According to her, the mayors do not know how many branches and where they will be closed.
An Austrian said this week that the company should not close branches in municipalities where there is only one post office. During the two-year transformation, the post office should be divided into a provider of basic services for the state and a company offering commercial services, such as parcel delivery. According to the Deputy Prime Minister, Czech Post will survive, will provide better services and its employees will receive better wages.
Czech Post currently operates 3,200 branches. Their minimum number is set by the government. But a large part is unprofitable. The post office expects a loss of 1.5 billion crowns last year.