Chinese citizen journalist to face trial after Wuhan virus reporting
Hello and welcome to the details of Chinese citizen journalist to face trial after Wuhan virus reporting and now with the details
Nevin Al Sukari – Sana'a – A worker in a protective suit is seen at the closed seafood market in Wuhan, Hubei province, China January 10, 2020. Zhang Zhan, a former lawyer, travelled to Wuhan in February and livestreamed her experiences on social media. She also wrote essays critical of the government’s response. — Reuters pic
BEIJING, Dec 17 — A citizen journalist detained in China after reporting from the Covid-19 ground zero of Wuhan will face trial later this month, her lawyer said today, as fears grow for her health.
The coronavirus first emerged in central China late last year, and Beijing has faced accusations that it covered up the initial outbreak and silenced early whistleblowers.
Zhang Zhan, a former lawyer, travelled to Wuhan in February and livestreamed her experiences on social media. She also wrote essays critical of the government’s response — including the strict lockdown of millions of people.
Zhang was detained in May and is accused of “picking quarrels and provoking trouble”, according to a court notice seen by AFP — a charge routinely used to suppress dissidents, with a maximum prison sentence of five years.
The 37-year-old’s lawyers received notice earlier this week that the hearing will take place in a Shanghai court on December 28.
Zhang began a hunger strike in June, her lawyers said, and has been force-fed via a nasal tube.
Her lawyer Zhang Keke wrote in a note circulated on social media that her health was extremely poor and she suffered from headaches, dizziness and stomach pain.
“Restrained 24 hours a day, she needs assistance going to the bathroom,” he wrote.
“She feels psychologically exhausted, like every day is a torment… she said her current physical state is too hard to bear.”
The lawyer said that she has vowed not to stop her hunger strike, despite the repeated pleas of her family, friends and lawyers.
Zhang was critical of the early response in Wuhan, writing in a February essay that the government “didn’t give people enough information, then simply locked down the city”.
“This is a great violation of human rights,” she wrote.
Zhang is the first to face trial of four citizen journalists detained by authorities earlier this year after reporting from Wuhan.
Previous attempts by AFP to contact the other three — Chen Qiushi, Fang Bin and Li Zehua — were unsuccessful. — AFP
These were the details of the news Chinese citizen journalist to face trial after Wuhan virus reporting for this day. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. To follow all our news, you can subscribe to the alerts system or to one of our different systems to provide you with all that is new.
It is also worth noting that the original news has been published and is available at Malay Mail and the editorial team at AlKhaleej Today has confirmed it and it has been modified, and it may have been completely transferred or quoted from it and you can read and follow this news from its main source.