Former world champions and current boxing promoters could come back from retirement next year in one of the biggest fights of all time
By Daniel Veuthey November 11, 2020 Share on FacebookShare Share on TwitterTweet Share on WhatsAppShare
Announcement of the stellar combat organized by Chino Maidana and Oscar De La Hoya
Marcos Maidana and Oscar de la Hoya, together in a ring? What once sounded like a utopia may come true next year. The former world champions and current boxing promoters would return from retirement for a match that promises to go down in history.
“I have a proposal with De La Hoya for a fight and we are just waiting for the date,” Maidana confirmed to Infobae . “I was aware that he wanted to return and I wanted to go back and now we are negotiating to see what comes out,” added Chino, who became part of the Golden Boy company in its successful beginnings. “I have a good relationship with him. We were working together for a while during my time as a boxer and there was a very good relationship with everyone, ” said the native of Margarita.
Marcos Maidana and Oscar de la Hoya (Télam)
At 37 years old, the Argentinean and former world super lightweight and welterweight champion finds himself in a great physical set-up. It is that Chino had already announced his return to the ring in an exhibition fight against former world kickboxing champion, Jorge Acero Cali, who is also his right hand in the company Chino Maidana Promotions , which the native of Margarita founded and which will have his stellar launch this Friday with several promising fights and that can be followed on the ESPN Knock Out screen from 9 p.m. However, the coronavirus pandemic put a brake on Maidana's return intention.
“I train fully awaiting other fights. I run every day in the morning and I train in the afternoon. I'm still waiting for other offers that I have to be confirmed , ” said Maidana, who also highlighted this Friday's evening that will feature a high-level billboard. “We are very good and very happy with the organization. It will be a show and although I have already organized an event in Mar del Plata (in which his brother TNT Maidana fought in January 2019), this is much better because we have everything. We are with very good people and a very good team ”.
Some of the combats that CMP organizes
“They are very satisfied, it will be the first big event. We are going to demonstrate everything that we are doing and have in mind. We are concerned about what the boxers are going to win, not what we are going to win. That they remain calm that we are not going to put our hand as many do, we are here to support them and put the sport on top ”, he closed.
Oscar De La Hoya is 47 years old and was a champion in six different divisions. Announced announced his retirement in 2008 after falling to Manny Pacquiao . However, he seems to have liked the idea of returning to the ring as decided by another great boxing legend like Mike Tyson (54), who will face the also retired Roy Jones Jr. on November 28.
The Golden Boy advanced weeks ago in an interview with ESPN that “the rumors were true” and that he would begin training. Unlike Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr. who participated in an exhibition fight, the Mexican-American had indicated at that time the intention that his fight be official.
Oscar De La Hoya was champion in six different boxing divisions
“It's a real fight, since I miss being in the ring, I love boxing. He gave me everything and I miss him ”, declared the promoter of Golden Boy Promotions. It should be noted that De La Hoya has a record of 36 wins and 6 losses, 30 were by KO
Meanwhile, Marcos Maidana has a record of 35 wins (31KO) and five losses and his last professional fight was in September 2014, with a unanimous decision loss in the rematch against Floyd Mayweather.
It will be a more than attractive contest between two renowned boxers, of very different styles but who were characterized by being handsome above the ring.
I kept reading: