Meghan Markle, duchess of Sussex – The royal family of England during the National Service of Remembrance in London on November 10, 2019.
By Pauline Laforgue
Engaged in a battle in court against the Daily Mail for several months, a judge just dismiss the accusation of Meghan Markle “breach of privacy” with regard to the letter she had sent to his father Thomas, published by the tabloid.
It is a letter that had shaken the british monarchy. In February 2019, the Daily Mail published a letter from Meghan Markle sent to his father Thomas in August 2018, where the duchess opened her heart, and settled his accounts with this one, which was then to follow up the unpacking in the press. A final coup de grace, and brought to the wife of prince Harry by his own father, who has decided to respond to last October, in prosecuting the Associated Newspapers Ltd. for “use, alleged misuse of private information, copyright infringement and violation of the law on the protection of data”.
But if at first sight this trial could play into the favor of Meghan Markle, justice has finally decided otherwise. In fact, the judge in charge of the case decided to dismiss the accusation of the duchess of Sussex, concerning the”protection of privacy”, reports The Mirror. But his lawyers don’t seem to have said their last word in this case. “Although the judge recognized that there is a violation of privacy and copyright, we are surprised to see that its decision suggests that a behavior is dishonest is not relevant. We believe that honesty and integrity are at the heart of this case”, said the office of the duchess to the journalist Chris Ship.
Response from Duchess of Sussex office: “Whilst the Judge recognises that there is a claim for breach of privacy and copyright, we are surprised to see that his ruling suggests that dishonest behaviour is not covered. We feel honesty & integrity are at the core of what matters”.
— Chris Ship (@chrisshipitv) May 1, 2020
A battle far from over
It is thus a first victory for the Daily Mail against Meghan Markle in this case. But the duchess, may nevertheless boast of having a “strong case” against the tabloid. “We will continue to focus on the issue of a private letter, intimate and handwriting of a daughter to her father which was published in the Mail on Sunday. This flagrant violation of the right of any person to privacy is obviously illegal”, added the office of the wife of prince Harry, who now intends to focus on three points to win the battle : the dishonesty of the tabloid that published this letter, the fact that the Daily Mail “has been deliberately dug up or fuelled the conflict” between Meghan Markle and his father, and to finish as the latter has used a “calendar”, a period very precisely to draw a portrait that is detrimental to the duchess, says Chris Ship. The case seems so far to be finished…
Sign up to the Newsletter Closermag.fr to receive free the latest news
Meghan Markle, duchess of Sussex, and prince Harry, duke of Sussex, have honored their first engagement of the year, by going to Canada House in London. On January 7, 2020
Prince Harry, duke of Sussex, and Meghan Markle, duchess of Sussex, during a visit to the Canada House in London, on 7 January 2020.
Prince Harry, duke of Sussex, and Meghan Markle, duchess of Sussex at the exit of the ceremony of the Endeavour Fund Awards at Mansion House in London, United Kingdom, march 5, 2020.
Prince Harry, duke of Sussex, and Meghan Markle, duchess of Sussex attend the festival of music of Mountbatten at the Royal Albert Hall, London, United Kingdom, march 7, 2020.
Meghan Markle – The royal family of England during the award ceremony of the Commonwealth at Westminster abbey in London, on march 9, 2020.