Tart, spicy, warming mulled wine – perfect drink for cold winter evenings. In the preparation of mulled wine, nothing complicated, but some basic rules still need to comply with to not get just boiled wine.
A major role in the preparation of mulled wine is the quality of the spices and wine. For mulled wine it is better to use cheap wine as vintage when cooked can lose their noble properties and taste. If you use dry wine mulled wine will be more tart and sharp. Sweet will give the drink a velvety taste.
Most often in mulled wine add these spices:
cinnamon – this spice improves blood circulation and gives the drink a special flavor;
cloves are also a traditional component of mulled wine, helps blood circulation and strengthen the walls of the stomach, useful for colds.Add cloves worth at the end of cooking, so she won’t lose its flavor;
– ginger is a powerful antioxidant that has excellent warming effect, so indispensable in the cold and rainy weather;
– anise – protects from viral diseases, particularly effective in diseases of the respiratory tract;
– cardamom – a spicy pepper with a pleasant lemon taste. Cardamom improves brain function, nervous system, enhances immunity.
Ingredients for mulled wine
Also to give a more rich taste and aroma of mulled wine add dried barberry, allspice, nutmeg, Bay leaf, fruit, berries and juices. As a sweetener use sugar or honey.
The classic recipe of mulled wine:
– 2 tablespoons of sugar,
– 1 teaspoon of cinnamon;
– ½ Lemon;
– 1 Apple;
– 2-3 cm ginger root;
– 750 ml semi-sweet red wine;
– 250 ml of Apple juice;
– 2-3 cinnamon sticks;
– 2-3 cardamom seed;
– 1-2 clove Bud;
– 3 peas of fragrant pepper.
The preparation of mulled wine:
1. Pour the sugar into a small bowl and add a spoonful of cinnamon. Mix.
2. With lemon cut peel. Cut the flesh into slices. Apple wash and cut into. Clean the ginger root. Faster and easier to do it with a teaspoon. Slice the ginger into thin wafers.
3. In a saucepan pour the red wine and Apple juice. Put the saucepan on a slow fire and add lemon pulp, lemon zest, apples. Put spices and sugar with cinnamon.
Spices for mulled wine
4. Heat the wine to 80 ° C over a pan will steam. Mulled wine can not be boiled, otherwise the taste of the wine will evaporate along with the liquid.
5. Mulled wine, cover with a lid and remove from heat. To heat longer, you can wrap the pot with a towel. Leave on for 10-15 minutes.
6. Then strain the mulled wine through a sieve or cheesecloth. Pour into glasses and enjoy a delicious drink.
A classic recipe of mulled wine