German politicians are discussing this issue due to the likely poisoning of Navalny.
The authoritative American publication Politico named six possible options for Germany's refusal to build the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline. The authorities are discussing this issue because of the possible poisoning from the Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny, reports Chronicle.info with reference to the Correspondent.
Options for suspending the construction of the gas pipeline, according to Politico:
- to revoke the building permit, this threatens to sue the operator Nord Stream 2 AG with a claim for 9.5 billion euros;
- wait for a court decision on the claims of non-governmental organizations, Deutsche Umwelthilfe in court proves that Nord Stream 2 cannot be realized due to the goals set for global warming;
- introduce restrictions on the import of Russian gas;
- let the US stop the project;
- insist on the imposition of sanctions by the European Union;
- do not give permission to operate the gas pipeline, create problems with obtaining a license.
Earlier it became known that German Chancellor Angela Merkel did not rule out the influence of the development of the situation with Navalny on the decision to complete the construction of Nord Stream-2. Prior to that, she urged not to associate the poisoning with the project.