research “50 gendarmerie and army soldiers” from different departments “have been deployed for 48 hours since this morning”, according to Colonel Pierre-Olivier Benech
Warrant Officer Muller (L) of the high mountain gendarmerie platoon (PGHM) alongside Colonel Bruno Langlois (C), commander of the Caen research section and Colonel Pierre-Olivier Benech (R), commander of the group Orne gendarmerie, in front of journalists, November 23, 2022. — AFP
Excavations are being carried out on Wednesday and Thursday in Orne to try to find the body of Marlaine Marquis, a woman her husband says she killed in 1989, announcing. the gendarmerie during a press conference. “50 soldiers from the gendarmerie and the army” from different departments “have been deployed for 48 hours since this morning” Wednesday to journalists Colonel Pierre-Olivier Benech, commander of the Orne gendarmerie group.
The gendarme mentions “considerable and extraordinary means in view of the seniority’ facts, with the mobilization of drones, an anthropologist, divers, a georadar and a metal detector. “Two phases of research” had already been carried out in June, without success, recalled Mr. Benech.
Operation “in a gallery”
This new operation takes place “in a horizontal gallery at the end of the building. a few meters below the ground where suspect says he hid his companion under sheets,” the presence of an engineer regiment equipped with of a “detector of ferrous materials” the military.
This equipment was not present at the site. La Chapelle-Souëf, ` around fifty kilometers away. east of Alençon, during the June excavations, explained Bruno Langlois, commander of the Caen research section.
Marlaine Marquis disappeared in 1989. At the time, his companion had reassured his entourage, explaining that his wife had left him; for another man. Agé now 62, the man confessed to a few months ago having strangled the young lady. The investigation had only started. that in 2021, following a report of the couple’s two children, now adults.
The head of the communication office of the Normandy gendarmerie, Julie Bergey, confirmed the placement under judicial control of the suspect and his indictment for unlawful confinement and kidnapping. Alençon’s prosecution did not wish to communicate on Wednesday. In June, the prosecutor had indicated that the statute of limitations for the crimes was 10 years at the time of the events.
Interrogated during the first searches in June by the actu.fr site, the daughter of the presumed victim e had declared; that she and her brother wanted “just our mom’s body so they could have a place to stay. collect”.