your life your opinion The organizing committee unveiled the two mascots of the 2024 Olympic Games on Monday: the Olympic Phryge and the Paralympic Phryge. But their design and provenance struggle to convince all our readers
The Olympic and Paralympic mascots were revealed on November 14, 2022. — Baratoux/LABEL IMAGES/SIPA
- On Monday, the Organizing Committee for the 2024 Olympic Games presented the two new mascots. The Olympic Phryge and the Paralympic Phryge refer to the Phrygian cap, symbol of the French Republic and the 1789 revolution.
- Form, creation process, symbol… We went to our readers to find out their opinions on these two mascots.
- Many find that the two mascots look like clitoris. The reference to the Phrygian cap is commendable according to our readers but hardly speaks either.
On Monday, the excitement was palpable within the committee; organization of the 2024 Olympic Games (Cojo) when revealing the new mascots. This year, he wanted to stand out “by choosing an ideal more than an animal” its president Tony Estanguet. And the surprise was not of the least… A rooster? A Marianne? No, rather two red triangles, with big blue eyes and wide smiles: welcome to; the Olympic Phryge and the Paralympic Phryge! These two little mascots refer to the Phrygian cap, symbol of the French Republic and the revolution of 1789. Good or bad idea? We went survey our readers.
“The idea of the Phrygian cap is good but… It must all the same be recognized that these mascots resemble; clitoris… ” The word is said. And Ray isn’t alone; think so, because the idea came up widely during the testimony. “It doesn't look like it. nothing if not a clitoris!”“it looks like a clitoris on paws”, or according to Florence: “they look so much like a clitoris! giant clitoris that one wonders if they are not rather representations of pleasure!” What if the Olympics advocated female pleasure? In any case, the aesthetics of these two mascots does not seem to win the support of most of our readers. “They are ridiculous and even ugly. In a ugly way similar to McDonald’s Happy Meals”s mascot Happy, named after Bianca. “I laughed so hard when I saw these ridiculous mascots that were supposed to represent an iconic and patriotic symbol. Poor Marianne, she must be turning in her grave!”, laughs B”atrice.
A historical reference that does not speak
If the form does not convince, the reference to the Phrygian cap hardly speaks either. “I find these mascots old-fashioned and cheesy. The reference to the revolution of 1789 has no place at the Paris 2024 Olympics, it’s a mixture of genres that few people in the world will understand, ” concedes Laurent. For Galdéric too, the symbolism is not obvious at first sight: “If I had not read that they were Phrygian caps, I would not have made the connection. ” Will this symbol speak to the millions of viewers? around the world? Not really according to Yan, “it is only the French who know the Phrygian cap and what it represents, and even then…” Because yes, for the youngest these mascots “represent nothing”, completes Véronique.
In addition to the symbol, which is not very evocative for many, it’s also the manufacturing process of the Phryges which raises questions, because these are manufactured in 80 %… in China, the remaining 20% are in Brittany. A piece of data which the time of global warming and working conditions does not please; all. “Another thing made in China with polluting dyes, imported in cargo ships for a completely useless climaticidal event in the midst of a climate collapse… The Phrygian cap should be worn. with conviction for the climate, and not against the climate,” laments Marie. Same thing for Josette: “The manufacturing should have be made with French raw materials and not Chinese (after the scandals of armchairs, shoes, etc.)”
Olympic and Paralympic Phryges have only aspects only. you will tell us… But a few rare readers were able to identify positive points. This is the case of Martine: “I find these mascots perfect. We could fall into the facility with the rooster, and the it’s original, well thought out, joyful, pretty, it represents France well. Special mention for the Paralympic.” For Hervé, these two mascots are also “pretty, endearing and have a historical meaning”. Lena also approves of the “larger Paralympic Phryge as if to show that she’s not to be missed. neglect!”