Policeman who shot an Air Force veteran in the Capitol is acquitted

Policeman who shot an Air Force veteran in the Capitol is acquitted

Spread the love

Policeman who shot an Air Force veteran in the Capitol is acquitted

The policeman who shot and killed U.S. Air Force (Air Force) veteran Ashley Babbitt during the January 6 Capitol riots has been acquitted after an internal investigation. This was announced on August 20 by the TV channel Nbc News with reference to the document of the department.

A United States Congressional law enforcement memo received by NBC News says “no further action will be taken on this matter.”

United States Air Force veteran Ashley Babbitt was injured by a Capitol police officer when she tried to enter one of the hallways through broken glass in a doorway inside the congressional building during the January riots. On the video footage of one of the eyewitnesses, which captured the shooter, it can be seen that the shot was fired from the other side of the door from a short distance. Babbitt later died in hospital.

The case of the death of the American woman in April was closed by the US Department of Justice. At that time, there were no grounds for criminal prosecution against the shooter, since it cannot be proved that he acted out of criminal motives.

On August 3, it was reported that a fourth US police officer who witnessed the January riots in the Capitol Building had committed suicide. Kyle DeFreitag served as a US Police Officer for five years. At the time of his death, he was 26.

On January 6, supporters of former US President Donald Trump after the rally broke into the Congress building, where the approval of the results of the presidential elections held in November was to take place. The meeting was disrupted. Five people were killed in the riots, including a policeman.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation has opened more than 160 criminal cases. The punishment for some charges in connection with the storming of the Capitol may be imprisonment up to 20 years.

The first convict was 38-year-old Florida resident Paul Hodgkins. He was sentenced to eight months in prison “for obstructing the efforts of Congress to tabulate and confirm the election results” of the US president.