Illustrative photo – Opening match of the round of 16 of the Champions League: Paris St. Germain v Bayern Munich, February 14, 2023. Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting of Bayern, center, Marquinhos of PSG, left.
London/Munich – Footballers Paris St. Without the injured Neymar, Germain will try to avoid elimination in Wednesday's Champions League round of 16 second leg at Bayern Munich. They lost the first game in Princes Park 0:1. Tottenham will make up for the same loss at home against defending champions AC Milan. Both matches kick-off at 21:00.
Photo gallery: Football Champions League 2022/23
Bayern's victory in the French capital was scored by former Parisian player Kingsley Coman, who also scored the only goal in the 2020 mutual final. The Bavarian team has beaten PSG in four of the last five matches in the Champions League. However, Paris succeeded in the quarter-finals two years ago.
“We did a good job on its pitch. We took the first step and now we want to take the second. When we combine our quality with intensity, we are hard to beat,” the UEFA website quoted Bayern coach Julian Nagelsmann as saying.
His charges have lost only one of 23 competitive matches since September and found the winner in two of 34 matches this season. While the German side have advanced to the quarter-finals in 10 of the last 11 occasions, PSG have been knocked out in the round of 16 in four of the last six seasons. “We are disappointed with the result from the first match, but it does not mean elimination. We had a half-hour passage there, in which we were much better,” said coach Christophe Galtier.
The Parisians will not be helped by striker Neymar. The 31-year-old Brazilian has to undergo surgery with an injured ankle. After that, he will be sidelined for three to four months, which practically means the end of the season for him.
Last time, AC Milan beat Tottenham in the cups for the first time at the fifth attempt. The London team eliminated the “Rossoneri” in the semi-finals of the UEFA Cup (now the European League) in the 1971/72 season and in the round of 16 of the LM in the 2010/11 season. The only survivor of the 12-year-old doubleheader is AC Milan forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who returned to the game in February for the first time since last May.
Tottenham have lost only one of the last 13 matches at home in the cups (in addition to Rennes by default). “I expect the fans to push us to a turnaround against Milan. I'm sure they'll create the right atmosphere, we'll play a fantastic game and advance,” said Italian Roosters coach Antonio Conte, who previously managed another Milan side, Inter.
AC Milan can advance to the first quarter-final of the Champions League since 2012. They have been eliminated in five of the last six rounds of the competition. Since February 2005, they have not won 10 consecutive games in UEFA competitions on the field of English teams.
“Saturday's loss to Fiorentina will not affect us, just as two defeats in a row will not affect Tottenham. Both teams will play to the limit ,” AC coach Stefano Pioli said.
Interesting facts before Wednesday's return matches of the round of 16 of the Champions League:
Bayern Munich – Paris St. Germain
Kick-off: Wednesday March 8, 21:00.
Referees: Orsato – Carbone, Giallatini – Irrati (video, all It.).
First match: 1:0.
Balance: 12 6-0-6 16:15.
– Bayern beat PSG in LM in 4 of the last 5 matches including the 2020 final
– the opponents met in the LM elimination phase in April 2021 in the quarter-finals; PSG advanced after a 3-2 away win and a 0-1 home loss
– Bayern lost to PSG last time at home in the LM after 3 wins
– Bayern advanced to the LM quarter-finals in 10 of the last 11 seasons
– PSG has been eliminated in the round of 16 in 4 of the last 6 seasons
– Bayern has defeated French opponents in the LM in 11 of the last 13 duels
– PSG away in LM, he won on the field of German opponents in only one of the last 5 games (just at Bayern in April 2021)
– Bayern won all 7 matches in the LM this season and did not concede 6 times, the only 2 goals were scored by Pilsen. the only one of the last 17 matches (just with PSG) and 8 times in a row he did not find a winner there
– after the initial away win, Bayern was eliminated in the double elimination cup match in only one of the 27 cases (in the round of 16 of the 2010/11 LM with Inter Milan )
– Bayern have lost only one of 23 competitive matches since September and have found a winner in 2 of 34 matches this season
– Bayern have not lost 23 consecutive competitive matches at home since January 2022. they lead the competition
– PSG midfielder Zaire-Emery will celebrate his 17th birthday on the day of the match
Tottenham – AC Milan
Kick-off: Wednesday March 8, 21:00.
Referees: Turpin – Danos, Pages (all Fr.) – Hernández (video, Sp.).
First match: 0:1.
Balance: 5 2-2-1 4:3.
– AC Milan beat Tottenham last time in the cups for the 5th attempt for the first time
– Tottenham eliminated AC Milan in the semi-finals of the UEFA Cup (now the Europa League) in the 1971/72 season and in the round of 16 of the Champions League in the 2010/11 season
– Tottenham has finished in the round of 16 of the LM in 2 of the last 3 participations
– AC Milan is in the round of 16 of the LM for the first time since 2014, has been eliminated in 5 of the last 6 round of 16
– Tottenham lost only one of 9 duels against Italian teams at home in the cups
– Tottenham did not win in 4 of the last 5 cup matches against Italian teams
– AC Milan beat Tottenham in the cups thanks to the win over Tottenham an English opponent after 9 games
– AC Milan have not won 10 times in a row in UEFA competitions on the field of English teams since February 2005
– Tottenham has lost only one of the last 13 games at home in the cups (in addition with Rennes)
– Tottenham is coached by the Italian Conte, who in the past led another Milan team, Inter
– Tottenham is fourth in the English league, the defending Italian champion AC Milan is in Se rii A fifth