Rome, explosion causes collapse in a building: at least three injured
At least three people were injured this morning in an explosion on the top floor of a building in the Torre Angela district of Rome. The explosion, which took place around 7:30 am, caused the partial collapse of the attic of the building, located in via Atteone. Following the explosion, possibly due to a gas leak, a fire broke out, sighted in the surrounding area.
Twenty fire brigade teams intervened and secured the area after extracting several tenants and a dog.
“I had my coffee, lit a cigarette and everything exploded”, he said the owner of the top floor apartment, a 67-year-old man, was burned over a large part of his body. Two other neighbors reported only bruises while, according to reports from Il Messaggero, an elderly man was taken to Sant’Eugenio in red code.
Italgas stated that the company’s gas distribution systems are outside the home and are intact.