Salvini makes propaganda on the Kabul attack, but confuses the Taliban with Isis-K
“There are people from PD and 5Stelle who want to talk to these people, crazy stuff”. Lega leader Matteo Salvini yesterday was one of the fastest Italian politicians to react to the news of the attacks against Kabul airport, taking the opportunity to rekindle the controversy against his old ally Giuseppe Conte. In the post published on his social channels, the former Minister of the Interior, at the head of the first party of the center-right in parliament, would seem to have run into a discreet slip, ending up confusing two notoriously rival groups in Afghanistan.
It is Isis-K, the Afghan branch of the terrorist group that had come to occupy part of Syria and Iraq between 2015 and 2019 and the Taliban, the Islamist movement in recent weeks has returned to power in Afghanistan and with which Conte in the past it has declared that it is necessary to have a “close dialogue”.
An opening that Salvini did not hesitate to condemn several times, even in the post published on his social channels already a few minutes after the first news of the attacks, which cost the lives of at least 85 people and unequivocally attributed to Isis. In his message, Salvini seems to attribute some responsibility to the Taliban, who in the past few hours have defined the action as “a terrorist act” that should be condemned by the whole world.
The accusation against the Democratic Party and the 5 Star Movement had already been raised in another post in which the two parties were accused of being on the side of the terrorists. “While the Taliban bring death and violence to Kabul, and machine gun shots are fired near the airport, Conte per i 5Stelle invites to dialogue with them and PD exponents rejoice for the Islamic terrorists in power. The League is not there, no dialogue with the terrorists, ”says the post published shortly before the attacks.
The attacks, conducted by two suicide bombers and at least one gunman, were claimed by Isis itself through its official body Amaq and attributed to Isis-K, by the US president Joe Biden himself. Already earlier, however, the alarm had been repeatedly raised of possible attacks by Isis-K against the evacuation operations underway at the Hamid Karzai airport in Kabul, from where 100,000 people have already left the country since last August 15, when the Taliban returned to power at the end of a lightning advance that surprised Western governments.
In recent days, the former Prime Minister and leader of the M5S Giuseppe Conte reiterated that “there is no alternative to dialogue with the Taliban”, after criticism from various exponents of the center-right and of Italia Viva.
“I think the situation is so serious that it cannot be resolved with a slogan. In this reasoning I have made it clear that the current situation, so dramatic, does not contemplate other solutions beyond dialogue with the Taliban. Another war is unthinkable, we cannot leave the Afghan population in anguish, ”Conte said last Tuesday at the Communion and Liberation Meeting in Rimini. “Over the course of 20 years, we have created a perspective. The Taliban must demonstrate that they are open to dialogue, the latest news does not support a change in attitude. But we have no alternative, other than to create a compact attitude in the international community that seeks to force the Taliban to dialogue to ensure protection and protection of the freedom of the people who remain in the country. I have been accused of being the advocate of the cutthroats and a supporter of the Taliban: let’s stop being geopolitical scientists… ”, added the former premier.