Illustrative photo – President Miloš Zeman meeting with journalists at the beginning of his visit to Serbia, during which he will meet with President Aleksandar Vucic and open the Czech House, January 29, 2023, Belgrade.
Prague – Director of the Office for the Protection of the President of the Czech Republic, Martin Baláž, requested to be dismissed from his employment at the end of April. The information of the Aktuálně.cz server was subsequently confirmed by the police on Twitter. According to the media, the newly elected president Petr Pavel had previously refused to be guarded by the presidential security, allegedly because of the connection between Baláž and the head of the presidential office, Vratislav Mynář.
“Today, Brigadier General Martin Baláž actually informed First Deputy Police Chief Tomáš Lerch of his intention to submit a request for dismissal from service as of April 30, 2023,” the police said. Baláž has been the director of the department since 2019.
The Reporter magazine published information at the end of January that, according to his sources, Pavel refused to be guarded by the official bodyguard of the president of the republic. The reasons are said to include the connection between Balaž and Mynář. That is why Pavel is now being protected by members of the Protection Service of the Police of the Czech Republic, which takes care of other constitutional officials, the magazine reported.
Pavel has already made it clear that after taking office on March 9, he plans to reduce the services provided to the head of state.< /p>