A gas leak from the Nord Stream gas pipeline in the Baltic Sea in a photo by the Danish Armed Forces, September 29, 2022.
Moscow – Secretary of the Russian Security Council Nikolai Patrushev expressed doubts about the veracity of information that Ukraine was behind last year's attack on the Nord Stream 1 and 2 gas pipelines. In today's statement to the Russian daily Argumenty i fakty, he said that he had no information about the perpetrators of the attack. However, he suspects the United States and Britain.
Western media reported last week, citing unnamed sources, that a pro-Ukrainian group may be responsible for the attack. However, she pointed out that there is no evidence that the Ukrainian government was involved in the operation in any way. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyi denied reports of Kiev's involvement in the attack.
The Nord Stream 1 and 2 gas pipelines, which run from Russia to Germany along the bottom of the Baltic Sea, each have a pair of pipes. In the still unexplained explosions last September, both Nord Stream 1 pipelines and one Nord Stream 2 pipeline were damaged.
“Kyiv has neither lost nor gained anything by destroying the pipeline,” said Patrushev, who is considered one of the closest collaborators of the Russian President Vladimir Putin. He added that Ukraine had no need to commit such an act when it urgently needs military and other assistance from Germany.
Russia has previously called the incident a terrorist attack and suggested that Western countries were behind it. Now Patrushev repeated this. “Special forces with the appropriate equipment and training are designed to carry out such acts. The United States and England certainly have them,” he said, adding that the US is now pressuring Germany to come up with a “favorable version” of sabotaging the pipeline.
Patrušev also stated that he had no specific information about who was the organizer and executor of this sabotage. He therefore called for an “objective investigation” with the participation of Russia and other affected states, ruling out any involvement of Moscow in the attack.