Parts of a Chinese balloon in Virginia Beach in a U.S. Navy photo Feb. 10, 2023.
Washington – The US military has recovered from the Atlantic Ocean important electronic components from an object it describes as a Chinese spy balloon, which it shot down off the coast of South Carolina on February 4. Among the components found are also sensors, the purpose of which, according to the army, was to collect intelligence information. Referring to the statement of the army, Reuters reported about it. Later this morning CET, the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs accused the United States of launching more than ten balloons since May 2022, which then illegally flew into the airspace of China and other countries.
According to the CBS station, among the fragments found from the presumed Chinese balloon is also a set of antennas measuring nine to 12 meters. “Crew members were able to pick up important fragments at the site, including all major sensors and other electronic components as well as large parts of the structure,” Reuters quoted the US military as saying.
The Chinese balloon that entered the US air defense zone on 28 .January, according to US officials, it measured about 60 meters and carried a huge basket weighing about a ton. The US shot him down after a few days of surveillance on the orders of President Joe Biden.
North American airspace has also been disrupted by other flying objects in the past two weeks. An unidentified object was shot down by American fighter jets on February 10 over Alaska. A day later, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced the downing of another unidentified object over the Canadian territory of Yukon. Another unidentified object was destroyed by the US military on February 12 over Lake Huron. The Pentagon said none of the objects posed a threat of attack.
Beijing has previously condemned the downing of its balloon, saying it was a civilian object used for meteorological research. Today, Chinese diplomacy accused the United States of launching more than ten balloons capable of flying at extreme heights since last May. According to Beijing, these balloons entered the airspace of China and other countries. “The US must conduct a thorough investigation and provide an explanation to China on this matter,” Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wen-pin said at a regular briefing today.