They accuse Roblox of deceiving the millions of young people who develop content

They accuse Roblox of deceiving the millions of young people who develop content

Spread the love

They accuse Roblox of deceiving the millions of young people who develop content

Roblox is one of the most popular video games in the world, especially among boys and girls between the ages of 9 and 12. It is an online gaming platform that can be downloaded for free, but that also includes real money micropayments to access certain functionalities.

In addition, it is a video game design and creation tool. In fact, these 200 million monthly players They spend most of their time on experiences created by other users.

In mid-August, People Make Games journalist Quintin Smith published a report analyzing how the company makes revenue and trying to find out if “they are exploiting young developers”.

According to the company itself, there are already more than five million developers that prepare experiences for their platform through official tools. For some this is a hobby, but a lucky few have managed to earn money and can make a living by creating experiences.

The platform has more than 5 million developers.

The operation is simple. Any user can download the experience creation programs and start developing thanks to the tutorials that the company puts at your disposal.

These game modes are then added to the base title catalog and can be played by all users. in exchange for paying a certain amount of Robux, the virtual currency of the game, which can then be converted into real money.

It is an inbred system in which neither experiences nor creators can leave the platform. Roblox Corporation tools are very different from any other game development program and knowing how to use them does not guarantee knowing how to create games for other platforms.

Also, experiences created with these programs only work on Roblox and cannot be exported to any other store, console, or system.

Unsustainable model

Roblox’s business model is unsustainable for most users who, in many cases, are minors. With messages such as “make a lot of money”, the company encourages players to start working on the platform.

They accuse Roblox of deceiving the millions of young people who develop content

From Roblox they sell success stories that are not true. Photo EFE

From Roblox Corporation they sell great success stories so that young people fall into the trap of entrepreneurship, but the reality is that the vast majority will never win real money and will only pay.

The first problem comes with visibility. Of the 20 million games that Roblox offers, in the download menu Only the 2,000 experiences with the most players are shown.

The idea is that, in this maze, either the creation goes viral or the company has to be paid to make the game stand out, since without players there is no profit.

Either it is possible to play without spending Robuxas both experiences and cosmetic items come at a price.

They accuse Roblox of deceiving the millions of young people who develop content

Roblox

Another one of the traps is the minimum amount that can be taken out of the game to transfer it to a bank account, which should be 100,000 Robux, approximately 1,000 US dollars.

To this is added that Roblox buy your own currency much cheaper to users than you sell it. That is, a normal user should spend 1,000 US dollars to obtain 100,000 Robux, while Roblox Corporation pays $ 350 to users for every 100,000 Robux.

In addition, in order to “earn money” with the platform, you must pay a monthly fee of $ 5 a month. This implies that the virtual currency has more value in the game and, in addition, it is very difficult to accumulate so much money to get it.

The minimum

As Quintin Smith points out, this minimum amount of 100,000 Robux is a conscious and thoughtful decision from Roblox Corporation, is not based on any technical or legal requirement. Platforms like Twitch, allow you to get money from $ 100, for example.

They accuse Roblox of deceiving the millions of young people who develop content

The company keeps up to 83% of all transactions,

Steam, the leading PC video game store, takes 30% of what developers generate, while Epic Games and the Microsoft Store receive only 12%. These are the industry standards, which have led to great controversies such as the trial between Apple and Epic Games.

Roblox’s monetization system, on the other hand, allows the company to keep up to 83% of all transactions, which leaves creators only 17% of everything they generate.

This 2021, Roblox Corporation has gone public and has been valued at more than 41 billion dollars. From People Make Games they denounce that this company is building its platform on the work of millions of creators who do not charge anything to do it, while selling them great stories of success and developers who get rich.

With information from La Vanguardia